Refinement at the Hotel St. Francis

The Hotel St. Francis building was erected for George Benz and Sons on the site of the old St. Paul Library after it was destroyed by a fire in 1915. Fred C. Norlander was awarded the building contract.The 215 room St.Francis Hotel and the New Palace Theater opened up in 1916.The name of the theater…

Continue reading →

Lyndale and the Basilica Then and Now

You can’t tell by looking at this old photo, but the place where Hennepin and Lyndale Avenues meet was almost as big a traffic snarl in 1943 as it is today. It may have been worse. Back then Minneapolis had close to 100,000 more residents and many more shopping working and living close to downtown….

Continue reading →

Edna S. Purcell House Then and Now

The Edna S. Purcell house was designed by William Gray Purcell & George Grant Elmslie for Purcell and his family in 1913. The house is considered on of the finest examples of work done by the local architecture firm of Purcell and Elmslie. The structure’s horizontal plane, flat roof, use of natural materials and colors…

Continue reading →

Lutheran Brotherhood Home Office

The International Style, Lutheran Brotherhood Home Office at was completed in 1956. The building is remembered as one of the first to incorporate curtain-wall construction. The lower level opened on a sunken garden and the ivy covered walls of the Minneapolis Club. Two floors were added during 1967-1968. Minnegasco moved in and renamed the building…

Continue reading →

The Granada on Lagoon Then and Now

The Mediterranean Revival was first introduced in the United States at the end of the nineteenth century. It became popular during the 1920s and 1930s. The style evolved from renewed interest in the Italian Renaissance architecture of palaces and seaside villas dating from the sixteenth century. The Grananda was built in 1929. For many years…

Continue reading →