Completed in October of 1887, the Swedish Tabernacle still stands on the northeast corner of 7th and Chicago Avenue. Way back when, the building’s 2,500 seat assembly hall was the biggest meeting place in Minneapolis. During the 1890’s, the Swedish Tabernacle hosted tremendous gatherings of city-wide interest. Explorers, scientists, statesmen, and preachers spoke here on a regular basis.
A 1924 history of the Tabernacle penned by the church’s founder E. August Skogsbergh on the occasion of its 50th Anniversary claimed that when the history of Swedes in America is written, the Swedish Mission Tabernacle of Minneapolis would be listed among the country’s memorable places. Skogsbergh went on to say that although the church lacks the elegance and costly luxury that so many churches count as their greatest asset. The Tabernacle was not built to be observed, admired, and described. It was built to be used. These days building is occupied by the First Covenant Church of Minneapolis.