Foshay’s Skyscratcher

Completed in 1929, the Foshay Tower was the first skyscraper in Minneapolis the tallest building in town until 1971. The Art Deco building modeled on the Washington Monument was the creation of multimillionaire, Wilbur B. Foshay. A real estate developer who prospered in the public utilities business, Foshay lost his fortune in the 1929 stock…

Continue reading →

Rice and Amelia

Nokomis was originally named Lake Amelia in honor of Captain George Gooding’s daughter, Amelia, in 1819. Its current name wasn’t adopted until 1910. Nokomis was Hiawatha’s grandmother. Before the lake was dredged it was only 5 feet deep. In 1925 Rice Lake was renamed Hiawatha and 1929 Over 1.2 million cubic yards were dredged out…

Continue reading →

Where Men Meet Men

Built at 9th and Lasalle in 1919 the old YMCA building in downtown Minneapolis originally had a low-rise wing to the north which contained the swimming pool. The wing was demolished for the construction of LaSalle Plaza in 1989. The Gothic Revival tower was renovated as 121-unit apartment complex in 1994 and added National Register…

Continue reading →

The Pantages Then and Now

The Minneapolis Pantages Theater opened as a vaudeville house in 1916. The original, Beaux-Arts style building, designed by the Minneapolis architectural firm of Kees and Colburn was originaly  operated by Winnipeg theater tycoon, Alexander Pantages’ entertainment consortia. At the height of his empire, the Greek immigrant owned and operated 84 theaters in the United States…

Continue reading →

Horn Towers

Built in 1971 on land donated by Charles Horn, these 22 floor buildings contain nearly 500 units. The poured-in-place towers are grouped around a sunken courtyard and organic garden on a one-block site just south of Lake Street. In 2004 the city allocated $7,000,000 to repair the cracking and general deterioration of the buildings’ natural…

Continue reading →