Minnesota’s first skyscratcher was the seven story Minnesota Loan and Trust Building. The narrow tower at 313 Nicollet Avenue had the same number of floors as the West Hotel and the Minneapolis Tribune Building, but it topped off at just over 100 feet by way of a decorative rooftop clock. Built in 1885 at a cost of $200,000, the Minnesota Loan and Trust had an Ohio Sandstone and Tennessee Marble front. The building contained over 3,000 vaults and boxes. It was the tallest building in city until the Lumber Exchange Building was completed 1886.